Monday, May 2, 2011

Indeed...a Shepherd

Today is Dr. Lowery’s funeral; yesterday was the visitation services.  Although it pains me to not be there; given the responsibilities of each day – and what I know of Dr. Lowery – he would have encouraged me not to come. 

Yesterday we had a Family (Congregational) meeting at New Life.  I could have been gone from preaching.  Yet the meeting was too important as we work toward more health as a body.  I think he would have agreed. 

Today my wife has a late afternoon baby appointment followed by a birthing class in the evening.  I am going to both.  With Melissa due mid-May I cannot justify leaving her home while I drive a long distance to “say goodbye”.  In fact, now that I think about it, I believe we (my wife Melissa, our daughter Ellei, and the baby still in Mommy’s tummy) will have our own little celebration and dance party for Dr. Lowery this afternoon after Ellei wakes from her nap.  I can almost hear Dr. Lowery’s hearty laugh of delight at such a thought/image. 

I relay the information of what we will do because of another aspect of Dr. Lowery.  A few days ago the focus was on the Scholar; today the focus is on the Shepherd.  Indeed, those two aspects fueled one another.  His study drove him to be a better shepherd; his love for people drove him to a deeper study of God’s word – which drove him to be a better shepherd…  Indeed, beautiful cycle. 

In the fall of 2004 I took Preaching from the New Testament with Dr. Lowery and Dr. Sackett.  During that week of class (an intensive week) I was not only introduced to Dr. Lowery the World-Class Scholar for the first time; I was also introduced to Dr. Lowery the Humble Shepherd as well. 

One way both Scholar & Shepherd were shown was how Dr. Lowery (as well as Dr. Sackett) offered affirmation and critique after I gave my sermon during the week of class.   

I also fondly remember both professors making time to pastor/shepherd those of us in the class.  Both men acknowledged difficulty in finding time to study God’s Word deeply while finding time to love people in tangible ways (i.e., be a shepherd).  Dr. Lowery mentioned the staggering number of unread emails which had accumulated in his Inbox since Monday morning (class from 8am-5pm coupled with prep time for the next day as well as family time does not leave much time for email).  Basically, you have to make time for what is important. 

The following fall I had a class over Revelation with Dr. Lowery (and 18 or so others).  Due to circumstances in our marriage, mid-week it became necessary to share some marital struggles my wife and I were experiencing.  These circumstances were first shared with only few of my classmates.  Yet these classmates (appropriately) shared with Dr. Lowery.  His concern was obvious as before class began for the day (which, remember, was focused on Revelation) time was made to pray for us.  Prayers for another marriage were included in this time, after which an appropriate break/breather was given.  

After the week of class, for a time, I kept everyone up to date on improvements in our marriage and desired prayer requests.  I kept Dr. Lowery up to date longer than others.  I did this because of his responses to my emails.  Last week I was moved to tears again in remembering how Dr. Lowery – despite having dozens and dozens of emails every day to answer – would answer mine.  I could reproduce what he shared with me in response to some of my email updates.  But it is sufficient to say they were specific and not a general “help/bless them God”. 

I also know this is not unique to me.  In one email reply he mentioned using a portion of Friday mornings to pray for students in ministry who are facing a variety of difficulties.  Given the 100’s he influenced I am certain that list was long. 

Indeed – a Shepherd…a Shepherd shaped by his Scholarship.  May we all conform to God’s Word.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah...our marriage has benefitted from Dr. Lowery's (and others) prayers. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good little dance party that day, honey.

    Ellei says so too: mnbvcxxxxxxxzzzzzzzzzasdfghhjkk;'lpoiuyytrqq

    ReplyDelete