Monday, August 13, 2012

Tire Changing Practice – and driving reflections…


As mentioned earlier, we had a recent trip to Colorado for a wedding.  It was a great trip despite some difficulties.  One difficulty, that actually happened two times, was that of tire changing practice. 

On one hand I do not really need practice changing tires.  Yet on the other hand it, well, they, allowed opportunity for reflection.  The first change took place between Ft. Morgan and Greeley in Colorado on the way to the wedding.  Long story short, a “goose egg” developed on the front driver’s side tire.  It was quite bad and by the time I finally stopped we were fortunate to not have it blow out.  After putting on our donut spare, we limped into Greeley and got a used tire.  Immediately I noticed Taurie (the name of our Taurus) pulling hard to the right; not good.  I sadly surmised she got knocked out of alignment between the tire going bad and me changing it.  However, as we found out a few days later on the way home, this hard pull to the right was because…the tire was bad.  It blew out about 20 minutes west of Salina, Kansas, on the way home.  Since we now have new tires on Taurie, and there is virtually no pull to the right, I do not know what to chalk the previous “rightward pull” up to other than a bad tire. 

Just prior to the tire blowing out on the way home, I started to feel a wobble and was actually in the process of slowing down because this seemed familiar (yes, I am quick aren't I).  I will admit this was a struggle for me because I wanted to get home and was thinking of the down time we were about to have.  Yet more than down time we wound up having damage to the front driver’s side of Taurie - bummer. 

Condensing the story a bit, we were set to stay with some friends in Salina because I was not about to drive the remaining two hours and twenty minutes home (at normal speed) at 45mph or so, which would have made that trip a lot longer…  Yet they graciously allowed us to borrow their car because he was headed to Emporia the next morning.  On top of that, Melissa’s Dad was already heading to Salina Monday morning for his business, so he was able to bring an old/spare tire that enabled Dustin to arrive in Emporia with Taurie mid-Monday afternoon. 

So, with all of those details, here are a few reflections:
1) Practicing thankfulness. 
Things could have been much worse.  The blowout could have led to a wreck. 
I am thankful for the body of Christ helping – both friends and biological family. 
Yet this also leads me to wonder.  Was this God watching over us?  It would be nice to think so.  Yet there are many people who love God, who have had similar situations, and have not been as fortunate. 
In situations like this I often land on being thankful.  Whether it was God directly or simply circumstances, I can thank God for things going as well as they did…I do not think this diminishes His involvement at all.   
2) Get over, please. 
If you do not stop to help someone alongside the road who needs help, at least get over in the other lane if one is available.  People traveling at Interstate speeds, just a few feet away if they happen to be on the white line, is not a good thing when you are changing a tire.  
3) Do not drive like a jerk. 
Driving right behind someone in a construction zone because they are going slow will not necessarily speed them up.  I realize it is tempting to think “Well, tailgating isn’t working, but I bet my super-bright, land a plane in the wilderness lights will speed them up!!!”  Yet Mr. (or Mrs.) Dodge Pickup Truck Driver, there is only so fast I will go with a donut tired on the front and my family in the car with me; sorry to slow you down a bit.     
4) I do not leave much space for “life”.  
I usually leave in just enough time to arrive wherever I am heading in just enough time (sometimes 10-15min ahead of time).  Well, for the wedding rehearsal that was not enough time to change a tire, find a used one, have it put on, and get there.  Maybe I will allow 20-25 minutes next time. 

Reflections on a reflection… 
I am amazed at how much of a jerk I can be when I drive.  I have made huge strides in my patience, but I am the CEO of “there ought to be a license for people who know how to drive and therefore get special privileges” club.  Well, even if it does not exist, I am certain there are others who share the same sentiment.  Among other things, people in this club have the ability to turn left at any intersection even if it is a left on green arrow only (why these are ever put up in newer intersections I will never know).  I know there are other privileges we would have...but they usually come to me "in the moment" - kind of like Calvinball.    

Fortunately I have not tailgated anyone lately…but I have not done city driving or a long trip since our return (confession).  Yet I can recall several instances when the slowness of others has really irritated me.  Fortunately I am mostly beyond this now…but a few that got to me.

1) An older Chevy Pickup truck in Salina about eight years or so ago.  I could not believe this younger guy was driving so slow and slowing me down in the middle of the day.  When I was finally able to pass him I saw a child seat in the front with him.  Wow, foolish me.  This guy was (I assume) enjoying time with his small son or daughter.  At the time we had no children…but I remember thinking I could likely be going slower when that day comes.  One, for safety and two, for the fun of talking to them. 

2) An older lady – again in Salina – driving extremely slow.  Yet this was not as big of an issue for me as I promptly remember wondering, “Would I want someone upset at my grandpa or grandma simply for driving slow?” 

So, when I meet people driving much differently than me my initial response is usually not one of frustration, but rather, “I wonder what the ‘category’ of people it is into which they fit.  Are they older?  Is it a young family?”  Yet I must admit, sometimes I wonder if it is someone who should have driving privileges suspended...or at least limited.  

1 comment: