Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Indeed...

As I type, the pilgrimmage of a professor of mine is nearing its earthly end.  The life of Dr. Robert Lowery, on this earth, is drawing to a close.  He is in hospice care.  Unfortunately cancer has taken a devestating toll on his body.  He is ready; ready to be in the presence of his God. 

An attempt at conveying the variety of things I have thought, experienced, reflected upon, and prayed since learning of Bob's rapid health decline on Monday would a) make this post too long, b) not do justice to my intentions - as they may be incoherent right now - and the truth is, c) others are more qualified than me to write reflective thoughts on Bob.  Therefore, if I stick to my intentions, this will be the first of a series of posts.  I hope they will be received well.

You may have noticed I mentioned Dr. Lowery is a professor of mine.  This may strike some as odd since I graduated from the Seminary side of Lincoln Christian University last Spring.  It may sound a bit more odd when I acknowledge my last class with him was in the fall of 2007.  Yet the apparent oddness is reality.  I am quite certain I am not the only student of Dr. Lowery who will acknowlege that in a very real way he continues to impact me (and them) today.  My intention is to relay some of what I mean in the coming posts.

Yet before I venture there I must state the obvious.  Those of us who know Bob do not grieve as those who have no hope (cf. 1Thess4:13).  No, our grieving is of a different kind.  Yet before I move into that I do want to acknowledge the loss and pray for his wife Marilyn as well as their children Rachel and Brian - both of whom are married with children.  While the Kingdom is losing a godly man; they are losing a Papa, Daddy, Father-in-law (I am certain they called him Dad), husband, and best friend. 

Indeed, what a loss.  Indeed... 

2 comments: