Monday, January 21, 2013

Bigger Than "Pay It Forward"

If I were a better historian of our culture, with more time, I would further develop the forthcoming statement for you. Yet given my limitations I will simply state it; there are identifiable movements and ways of doing things that can be traced back to a point of origin. Similarly the popularization of, basically about anything, can be traced back to a point of origin(s).  

This can be viewed as cause and effect. Yet at the same time there is an aspect of it that is so much bigger than “a” led to “b” which led to “c”. It seems to be more of an Event and response.

A relatively modern example is how the idea of “paying it forward” is somewhat common in our culture – both in the vernacular and practice. While I will not deny the reality of people using the phrase and implementing the principle before the year 2000, at least my awareness of its frequency can be traced back to the popularity of a movie by the same phrase ("Pay It Forward") starring Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt, and Haley Joel Osment. If you are unfamiliar with the movie you can click here for a synopsis (by the way, there is another strand of thinking here [i.e., "my awareness"] I will hopefully pick up in another post). 

Now why state all of that? 

I state all of that because at times I am blessed to be able to help people in a monetary way. A way this happens is through the generosity of people where I serve (New Life Christian Church in Emporia, KS). When helping whomever, I make sure to let them know how it is even possible for me to be helping them. In other words, I make it clear I am helping them on behalf of a community of people who give just a bit more each week to make this help possible.  

There have been times when the one(s) being helped talk about paying us back. I ultimately leave the ball in their court, but I make it clear that they are under no such obligation. I reemphasize how our motivation for doing this is simple; we are seeking to respond to God, and in doing so want others to know there is a God who loves them and is concerned about their situation. Often they reply with a thought of “paying it forward” to someone else (i.e., "payback" the deed, but not to the one who helped them, rather to someone else in need). I understand this is a bit of a natural response. I agree it is better than simply receiving and receiving and receiving. Yet what I want those who have been helped to understand, or at least consider, is that they ought to take a second look at God if they are not following Him.  

At its core, it seems the thought of "pay it forward" is to help make the world a better place. This is commendable. Yet is also a recipe for failure. This is why I mention the "Event and response" above in the second paragraph. 

I say "pay it forward" is a recipe for failure because, sadly, everyone is prone to think - sooner or later - that they are giving too much, that others can help themselves, that this person was not truly grateful, etc. In light of that, what I want people to realize is that when God’s people respond and give, it is not like paying it forward. It is people responding to an Event that has impacted and forever altered their lives. The cause of this Event is God - He deserves a second look if someone is not following Him.  

Yet I want to be clear that the God who is deserving of a second look is quite possibly "not the same" god they heard about in the past. This is a God who desires His Church to be the hands and feet of Jesus in a broken and hurting world. A God who has such a beautiful and compelling story that when it is understood it does not ignore evil, the faults of His own people, or anything like that. Rather, His Story says those things will not have the last word and that God's purpose of redemption for the world will come to fruition.

I realize some reading this may not be open to that right now. I can appreciate that. In light of this possible reality, I want to simply add that honesty with God is a good thing. And given the implications of God’s Story, there is good reason to be honest with Him. Yet that is another post for another day…

No comments:

Post a Comment