Thursday, November 29, 2012

Preparing For Advent [2]

It has been nearly a year.  What do I think of the post now?  I still agree with it.

For quite some time I have told people that "if Christmas is true, then it impacts everything."  Stating something as fact is one thing; living out the implications of a fact is quite another.  This is why learning new things (which in this reality are anchored in the past) to assist us in the process of living out a believed fact (or truth) is so important.  For this reason I continue to reflect and seek to grow in my understanding of the importance of Advent.  Indeed, I have learned more about Advent in the past two to three years than I ever learned in all my previous years combined.  Granted, that may not be saying much because I still have a lot to learn about Advent, but I do want to be obedient with what I know.

With that said, it is likely a bit ambitious for me to expect drastic changes out of people based on what I am writing.  I realize when we hear something new there is often a time of incubation before change takes place.  Yet this even assumes whatever new thing we heard was not immediately dismissed.  With that said, I think I would be extremely pleased if people would a) not simply dismiss what they read here and in other posts, because this will hopefully open the door for them to b) acknowledge this is an issue, which will open the door further for c) God to bring about more lasting and godly change.

I do not know where you are at in that continuum.  I am in the "b" and "c" areas myself.  In fact, this seems to be the essence of the Christian life.  We acknowledge our need to see and conform to things from God's vantage point, and the change He brings about in us is what will last and bring Him glory.

With all of that said, can we consider the following?  The next time you hear an account of people seeking to bar a nativity scene from a public place, or a nativity scene is labeled as offensive by others,

or something similar to these, please do not be duped into believing that keeping an inaccurate nativity scene in a public place will bring about change in people.  Similarly, it seems to me, a clerk not saying "Merry Christmas" to you falls into this same category.

I realize God can work through a variety of means (including questions that may be spurred by a nativity scene).  In fact, I am grateful for this reality.  The truth is, I am often amazed He works through me at all.  Yet what is our purpose as followers of Jesus?  Is our purpose to fight for our right to display or say something no matter what the cost?  Or is our purpose to love people with the love of Jesus?

The Biblical answer is clear.  We are to be compelled by the love of Jesus to love others - no matter what.  Unfortunately the cultural truth is also clear.  We are indoctrinated to fight for our rights, and to defend free speech, and to not be silent, and...  It is sobering for me to reflect on how much "easier" it is to settle for the cultural way.

I understand that many may now be struggling with this post, if you were not already that is.  In light of this, I simply want to refer us back to the "A, B, C's" above.  No one benefits from simply discarding this post.  You do not benefit if I am right, and I do not benefit if I am wrong and you can help me see my errors.  I do not have it all figured out - not by a long shot.  Yet I have struggled for some time now in seeing the fruitfulness of some of the cultural fights many Christians either pick, or find themselves fighting.

Jesus did not force truth on anyone.  In fact, when doling out a much needed truth for our culture to an individual who rejected submitting to it (cf. Mk12:17ff), Jesus let the guy walk away.  Yet Jesus still loved him...  How can we do the same?

Perhaps an increased awareness of and appreciation for Advent can help.  In fact, I know it can.  In Advent we increase our awareness of and longing for the coming of Jesus.  We anticipate and long His 2nd Coming where things will be made right (rather than anticipate gifts on Christmas Day morning - which is what culture indoctrinates us to do).  It should not surprise us people will do things to offend Christians, or to snub God.  Yet we should not forget they are deceived (2Cor4:4).  In light of that, it seems responses flowing out of love are in order (cf. Rom12:14-21).  I guarantee you more lives will be transformed with the latter than without it.


1 comment:

  1. I love the season of Advent because it truly does help me to reconnect with what God has done for us, what He continues to do for us, what we can look forward to, but most important is what we can do for Him. I take it as a combo of Love, Help, Blessings, and Fear (the fear of God, the kind He wants us to do). During this time of the year I have multiple bible readings that I follow to better understand what God wants from me. For Advent to last only a short while is for something that we have decided - like Passover & the Easter season, we have set limits to what and how long it will affect us. For me it isn't about what I get or who forgot me - it is about what I can do for others what way I can show that I care, love, pray, and think about them. I remember my conversations with Melissa about Advent a few years ago, it almost seems like forever, & what we (as a worship team/church) were going to do about Advent. Things have changed and I want to thank you both for the impact that you have had on me. I look forward to this Advent season with you and growing along with you as well. God Bless.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete