Thursday, February 2, 2012

Unsure...Confused...Pressure... Disappointed...Resting

If you frequent this page there is no need to state the obvious - but I will - I am sporadic with my posts.  By the way, I am typing this on the fly...so I hope there is coherency to what you will read.  But I have reflected some on why I am so sporadic.

#1) I am often unsure of myself.  I certainly do not want to put something "out there" that is inaccurate.  I want to be thorough and develop a point, but yet not be cumbersome and lose people.  Where is the balance?  Can I do this?

#2) I am confused by my motives.  A "loose goal" of mine is to be a published author.  In order to do this I need to write, a lot, and blogging is a way to accomplish this.  Yet why do I want to publish?  Is this a desire God has given me?  Is this a desire I have for selfish reasons?  Would "my material" be of help to people and further the Kingdom of God?

#3) I put pressure on myself.  E.g., I go through periods of struggling to simply read the Bible.  I struggle because if I am reading I think, "I need to make use of my time," so I want to trace a theme, etc.  While this can be good...it can also lead to paralysis (for me) because, "what theme?".  In relation to blogging I have thought, "Seriously, I posted two weeks ago now...I need to post something..."  Then comes...

#4) I am disappointed in myself.  This is a killer for me.  Why not simply read and enjoy the Bible or a book?  Why think I need to publish another post?  I can even be disappointed that I am disappointed in myself.  This leads to...

I have recently learned, both more fully and for the first time, that I am at my best when the pressure is off.  You will notice #'s 1-4 start with "I".  The overwhelming majority of the time any "pressure" I feel comes from me.  I may expand on this later...  Yet does God want me to feel pressure?  Or does God want me to rest and live pressure free as I trust in His grace?

When I rest in His grace I am most free.  I am free to think, free to create, free to have the Holy Spirit say "Hey, look at this" as I read in the Bible (or anything), free to enjoy nature, free to enjoy time with others instead of thinking of a myriad of other things I could be doing.  In short I am free to be the person He created me to be...one who realizes a personal need for grace and lives a life shaped by it.  

In summary - my sporadicism is because of my immaturity.  Thankfully God is bigger than that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment