Friday, December 23, 2011

Advent or Christmas? [4]

So how was Advent lost and Christmas distorted into a commercialized crock?  Granted Advent has not been lost for everyone, nor has everyone bought into the commercialization of Christmas.  Yet culturally speaking this is certainly the case.  This is vital to acknowledge because our culture impacts every single one of us. 

I want to be clear.  This is a struggle for me.  I have many good Christmas memories.  I enjoy being with biological family.  I enjoy a day off (sort of – if it falls during the week).  I even enjoy receiving (and of course giving) gifts.  Yet I cannot help but think Christians would really enjoy more people coming into the Kingdom of God.  I cannot help but think Christians would really enjoy seeing the bonds of oppression being broken.  I cannot help but think Christians would really enjoy seeing brothers and sisters around the world having provision for daily necessities in the name of Jesus.  I cannot help but think Christians would be overwhelmed with joy as the communities in which they live are transformed by the grace and love of God… 

With that stated (and many things being left out), I do not know the answer to my opening question.  However, I am quite certain it is tied to the economy.  I imagine most things in an affluent culture are.  The author of this post seems to think this is the case.  So what do we do?  I think pondering the principles and implications (which are more numerous than the few mentioned) of the previous three posts is a start.  There is certainly a need to evaluate and rethink what we do in light of what the Bible says.  This is necessary in being a part of a Kingdom which transcends and trumps all cultures. 

Yet as this is done, do not be legalistic.  When conviction comes to you that change needs to be made, seek godly wisdom in how to implement the change(s) in your family first.  As with any change, there will be a time of adjustment.  As your family changes, do not impose your change(s) on others.  Naturally this would be done with good intentions.  Sadly it often has disastrous results.  In fact, all legalism has disastrous results.  Yet by all means, share your new knowledge and some of the things it is leading you to do as you seek to follow Jesus more closely.  Yet do so with humility and grace. 

Please understand, this does not invalidate your change(s).  Neither does this say others should not make the same change(s).  What this does is acknowledge forced change is not lasting and godly change.  Our Christian walk is a journey and we are all at different stages.  I want to be clear again, this is not a call for complacency.  Rather, it is a call for grace and encouragement.  Changed lives lead to more changed lives as they are lived out in community.  However, simply telling others to change merely leads to closed ears and hearts.  For certain the miracle of Incarnation has shown us that… 

2 comments:

  1. your last paragraph is well-said. Thank you for writing such truth and encouraging "grace and encouragement."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome honey - I love you :)

    ReplyDelete